Thursday, June 3, 2010

Short Story by Stephanie

Room 14 has been working on our writing. We are trying to use similes and use show not tell. E.g. “The sweet luscious deep red fruit covered in pale green seeds”, instead of saying, “strawberries”. We are also trying to use the correct punctuation and grammar.


Mixed up
By Stephanie Han

I had watched the river flow continuously for the last ten minutes. I had run for all that time. I had run for miles and now was tired, gasping for air. I stood up and started to walk, slowly but steadily. Hearing the water sway helped me to calm down. The strange scary man was still following me, down the old alleyway. As I looked back to see if he was still following me, I heard something move in the bushes. “Must be a rat”, I whispered quietly to myself. It’s been a while since I had last been out. It felt so good to be out in the fresh air.

When I started running it was still light but now the sun was setting. In a few minutes it would be down and it would be pitch black.” How would I be able to get home?” I thought . I sat down on a nearby rock to think; not knowing it had something carved into it. Finally I saw what it said,
“This magical stone
Is real to the bone,
It’s used to foresee,
What is next to be.
Just kick it three times
And your luck will ties nine”.
Not knowing what else to do I kicked it ,three times . at first nothing happened then the middle started going transparent and started to glow, then I saw two figures, one tall and one small, then it went blank. I guess my luck still hadn’t changed, I was still lost, still had nowhere to go and could barely see anything. I wanted to go homes so badly but didn’t know how ...then it hit me. In every single story there was usually someone living in the forest so if I find a house fast enough they might take me in for the night, well it was worth a try.

I started t o run once more, faster this time. Until I saw a big tree trunk that looked just like a house. I was so happy I could have cried, but of course I didn’t. As I knocked on the door no one answered, so I just came in, shut the door and flicked on the lights. Seven little dwarfs then stared at me in silence until one of them said ,”Hey, you’re not Snow White”.”Cut”, yelled one of the directors.
“Ughh...they must have mixed up the scenes again”, I muttered.

7 comments:

  1. Well done Stephanie. I love the way you build suspense and have the reader wondering who or what you are right up until the end. Very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hae stef I liked the way how you described the river how it was flowing contiously and how you said that while you walking the river helped you calm down after miles and miles of running!!!!!...

    Kitana

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice steph i liked how u used show not tell in ur story:D MIA

    ReplyDelete
  4. NICE I LIKED HOW U USED SHOW NOT TELL IN UR STORY. MIA

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked the way you used show not tell :) Lidia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Stef. I'm glad I attended your school's e-learning meeting. I had a good chance to really look at your website and your blogs which you asked me once if I have visited already. I'm very proud of your work. I can't say you got this from me but I can only try. :) Looks like I'm very interested in keeping this site as one of my favourite sites to visit every time I sit in front of my computer. Looking forward to see more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i liked the ending how you builded the story up and had a funny ending.i also liked the way you wrote about the magic stone.

    morgan

    ReplyDelete